9 days and counting, my new Surface will arrive. As an avid gadget guy, I’m pumped about this launch with Windows 8. Could this be the breakthrough consumer product that competes with the iPad? Maybe. Here’s why.
1. There’s the USB port which I plan on using with external drives, scanners, and the like.
2. A microSD slot which also allows me to add additional memory and download photos from my camera that uses microSD (really nice when traveling).
3. It comes with all the productivity tools like powerpoint and excel.
4. A seamless experience with my XBOX. It also allows me to remote desktop to my work computers. All of which I cannot do with any of my current tablets.
5. And, it’s just under 1.5 ounces.
That’s a tremendous amount of promise - if it can deliver, I may be using the Surface as my go-to tablet.
I also have a very short attention span, if I can’t figure out a strong use case for that device quickly, it’ll end up becoming an expensive doorstop for me. The iPad/iPhone/Apple TV combo has been by far the most compelling ecosystem for me followed by Nexus 7/Nexus Phone/Google TV. If the Surface/XBOX combo works extremely well, I could very well be on the path to Windows Phone 8 and to the Microsoft ecosystem.
Microsoft is taking a huge leap here building devices that compete directly with their distribution partners or OEMs. Bravo for doing it, takes courage, and sets the bar high for its partners, consumers, and its competitors. I’m looking forward to seeing how this fight turns out - Apple vs Google vs Microsoft - and I can’t wait to get my hands on the Surface to see if it’s the real deal.
Let me know what you think.